Discover Clare: Golf On The Wild Atlantic Way
Golf is so much more than a game, combining beautiful scenery with outdoor exercise and healthy competition, and here in County Clare, the unique and challenging courses offer world class enjoyment.
If you’re visiting Ireland to make the most of the golf, we offer you a warm welcome at our three well-located hotels in the Lisdoonvarna area. You can enjoy the best of Irish hospitality and be assured of a comfortable night so that you will be well rested for the tee off each day. Here are just a few of our favourites to add to your must-play list:
Your Guide To Golf Courses In County Clare
- Lahinch Golf Club. Historic and beautiful, Lahinch golf club has been referred to as ‘the St Andrews of Ireland’. From the early 1900s, the resident goats have been a guide to the weather at Lahinch, staying close to the clubhouse when weather is inclement and heading out to the sand hills when good weather approaches. You will still see the goats roaming the links today, although the course has been much updated and improved, and Lahinch still offers some of the most challenging opportunities for keen golfers.
- Dromoland Golf & Country Club. If you’re looking for a truly spectacular golf course, you can’t ask for more than the championship course in the grounds of 15th century Dromoland Castle. The estate is simply breathtaking, and the course offers over 6,824 yards for men and 5,242 for ladies. Internationally renowned Ron Kirby and JB Carr were responsible for designing this course, which requires distance and accuracy and is very popular with professionals and amateurs.
- Ennis Golf Club. Ennis Golf Club is perfectly located close to the coastline and the stunning Burren National Park, near Shannon airport. Popular with golfers of all abilities, the club offers a beautiful 18-hole, par 70 parkland course. You can expect a friendly welcome and excellent facilities, including a lounge bar, dining room, quality changing rooms with showers and lockers for visitors, and a large car park.
- Kilrush Golf and Sports Club. You will find Kilrush Golf and Sports Club just outside historic Kilrush, and it makes the most of the unique landscape of the area. The 18 hole course features a famous 9th hole, a par 3 surrounded on three sides by water, and by sand on the fourth. This club is also renowned for being one of the friendliest clubs in Ireland, so you’re guaranteed a good day out.
- Doonbeg Golf Links. When it opened in 2002, Doonbeg Golf Links was named Golf Digest’s Best New International Course, and in 2010 it won the IAGTO European Golf Resort of the Year. Designed by twice British champion, Greg Norman, the 18-hole par 72 course runs through the natural sand dunes, making for a very beautiful game! A resident golf professional offers instruction throughout the year, and caddies are available year round.
Visit County Clare For World Class Golf Courses
Golf is one of the many jewels in Ireland’s crown, and you’ll find excellent food, historical sites and breathtaking scenery when you visit County Clare. Our three friendly and central hotels are ideally located for you to discover the golf courses of Clare, so book your stay today at The Imperial Hotel, Lisdoonvarna, The Hydro Hotel, Lisdoonvarna or The King Thomond Lisdoonvarna.