There’s no doubt that Ireland is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, and County Clare is an destination you shouldn’t miss. Whether you’re drawn to Clare for the impressive Burren National Park or the traditional towns and historical sites, it’s certainly worth making time to explore here.
When you’re discovering a new part of the world, there’s nothing better than finding luxurious accommodation that offers a central base from which you can explore. Read on for our ‘must visit’ guide to County Clare, and you’ll find a great selection of hotels that are perfectly located for a trip to this stunning area.
Where To Visit In County Clare
- Lisdoonvarna is Ireland’s premier spa town and the home of the Matchmaking festival, in which 60,000 people worldwide visit the town for unparalleled music, dancing and the craic, held every September. It’s the perfect location to discover the famous Burren Smokehouse and the Burren smoked salmon that is so popular across the world, and you can sample great service and traditional Irish cuisine when you stay at The Imperial Hotel, Lisdoonvarna.
- You won’t want to miss the Cliffs of Moher, the best known natural wonder in Ireland, and the views are something truly special. You can find out more in the Cliffs of Moher Visitor Centre, and you’ll treasure the photographs you take at O’Brien’s Tower. You can walk the 8km route along the cliffs, from Liscannor to Doolin, or head straight to Doolin itself to enjoy some traditional Irish hospitality in one of the many popular pubs.
- Doolin is a super town to visit, and a boat trip to the Aran Islands will be a memory to cherish. The 16th Century Doonagore Castle will give you a taste of historic Ireland, and close by, Doolin Cave can take you millions of years back in time to find the impressive Great Stalactite.
- The Burren National Park is a great place to while away the hours exploring, with around 1,500 hectares of impressive landscape, with several ancient tombs to explore and walking trails through the limestone scenery. The Hydro Hotel, Lisdoonvarna is the ideal hotel to retire to after your day outdoors, perfectly located in the heart of the Burren. It’s a family run hotel that has been popular for nearly 140 years, so you can relax and experience delicious local cuisine and live Irish bands in comfort.
- Don’t miss a trips to Father Ted’s house, close to Lisdoonvarna, where the popular TV comedy series was filmed. Glanquin Farmhouse is part of an organic farm and offers afternoon tea by appointment only, so call ahead to book. The King Thomond Lisdoonvarna is centrally located and you’ll love the regency style and elegant decor of this very special hotel.
Visit Lisdoonvarna, County Clare For The Matchmaking Festival
Lisdoonvarna is famous for hosting the annual Matchmaking Festival in September. More than 60,000 people travel from around the world to join in as the town comes to life with dancing, music and the craic. Make the most of the opportunity to take part in matchmaking events or just enjoy the Irish culture and meet new people as you visit this beautiful area at the very best time of year!